Sunday, May 11, 2014
The New College Institute (NCI) Summer Internship Program is hosting 56 interns this year, the most the program has funded in its eight years.
Through funding from the New College Foundation, the Harvest Foundation and local employers, the NCI Summer Internship Program provides paid workplace opportunities for college students with employers throughout Martinsville, Henry County and Patrick County.
“One of the program’s primary goals is to attract and retain young talent to Martinsville and Henry County. We hope to demonstrate to local and non-local college students that our community is a great place to build their careers upon graduation,” Katie Croft, coordinator for experiential learning for NCI, said in a news release.
Through this program, students are able to gain hands-on experience related to their fields of study by working with area employers. While students gain valuable work experience and connections, employers can test drive potential candidates for full-time hire at a low-cost investment, the release said.
The requirements for interns to complete this internship include fulfilling 320 work hours with their employers, participating in volunteer projects and attending networking and professional development activities. Interns earn $12.50 per hour, or $4,000 over the summer.
This year’s applicants included about 85 students from colleges and universities throughout Virginia and surrounding states. Selection to the program was competitive, the release said.
Those selected, along with the employers they will work for, are:
• Elizabeth Adkins – Bassett Furniture Industries
• Joseph Amaya – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Briana Amos – Patrick Henry Community College Artisan Center
• Fatgezim Bela – Integrative Centers for Science and Medicine
• Jessica Clark – Virginia Museum of Natural History
• Dillon Craig – Eastman Chemical Co.
• James Craig – Blue Ridge Aquaculture Inc.
• Kaylee Crawford – Martinsville City Public Schools
• Daniel De La Cruz – Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc.
• Trevor Denny – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Jasmine Dillard – Memorial Hospital in Martinsville
• Grace Ann Edgerton – Martinsville Henry County Coalition for Health and Wellness
• David Foley – O&W Enterprise/Empathy Rehab
• Tosha Foley – Memorial Hospital in Martinsville
• Whitney Foley – Patrick County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office
• Chenika Gravely – Memorial Hospital in Martinsville
• Conner Grindstaff – Blue Ridge Regional Library & Smart Beginnings MHC
• Parker Gunn – RTI International Metals
• RaShawn Hairston – Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc.
• Jordan Hancock – Bassett Furniture Industries
• Matthew Hawkins – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Atallah Hezbor – Bassett Furniture Industries
• James Hudson – Carter Bank & Trust
• Janika Hunt – Hooker Furniture Corp.
• Kailey Johnson – Piedmont Community Services
• Peyton Joyce – Veterinary Services
• Abigail Kieselbach – HD Web Studio
• Christopher Lovern – The Harvest Foundation
• Chanlee Luu – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Hanna Lyle – Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc.
• Daniel Malta – RTI International Metals
• Michael Mason – eBay Enterprises
• Lauren McGarry – Martinsville Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office
• Diclesis Millner – Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc.
• Joshua Mize – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Liza Moore – Dr. Edward P. Snyder, P.C.
• Logan Morris – Ashbrook Audiology & Hearing Aid Center Inc.
• Brenden Newman – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Andrew Nolen – Commonwealth Laminating & Coating Inc.
• Eric Oberholzer – RTI International Metals
• Jessica Pflaumer – Henry County Department of Planning, Zoning, and Inspection
• Drew Pflaumer – West Piedmont Planning District Commission
• Nicole Shelton – Dr. David C. Jones, Orthodontist
• Kara Spencer – Martinsville Henry County Coalition for Health and Wellness
• Stephanie Stanley – Eastman Chemical Co.
• Stephannie Tamayo – Citizens Against Family Violence
• Katherine Turk – Virginia Museum of Natural History
• Tevin Turner – Integrative Centers for Science and Medicine
• Garrett Van Nutt – Therapy Direct
• David Walker – Memorial Hospital in Martinsville
• Emily Warrick – Children’s Medical Center
• Daniel Watkins – RTI International Metals
• Tyler Weeks – Mahoney Family Medicine
• Virginia Whitener – Martinsville Commissioner of Revenue
• Victoria Wood – Patrick Henry Community College
• Lori Yeaman – Martinsville Family YMCA
For more information about the NCI Internship Program and other experiential learning at NCI, contact Croft at 403-5609 or firstname.lastname@example.org.