English as a Second Language Endorsement
Contact: Lisa Thomas
The University of Virginia's School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) has developed a series of courses designed specifically for classroom teachers seeking an endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL). The courses are designed to meet the competencies outlined in the Virginia licensure regulations for English as a Second Language, PreK-12.
Each course is three graduate credits. Please note that Virginia also requires six credit hours in a modern foreign language in addition to the courses listed here. SCPS does not offer foreign language courses at any of the sites. Courses in the endorsement series are offered each semester. School administrative personnel who wish to arrange for a course in their school division should contact Linda Linnartz.
Required Courses: (24 hours of coursework distributed in the following areas)
- PSED 605D: Multicultural Education: ESL Focus (Fall 2008)
- PSED 614A: Teaching English as a Second Language (Spring 2009)
- EDIS 770: Foundations of Reading Instruction (Summer 2009)
- PSED 614J: Reading and Writing for English Second Language Learners (Summer 2009) (Note: Foundations of Reading is a prerequisite for this course)
- PSED 614H: English Linguistics (Fall 2009)
- Modern foreign language - six semester hours
- PSED 614B: Assessment in Teaching ESL (Spring 2009)
Available Elective Courses: State Requirement - One Elective